PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg Bell47 From Milan to UK?
View Single Post
Old 13th Dec 2011, 14:11
s1lverback

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd have thought any hassle (why?) refuelling in france would pale into insignificance compared to the the grief you'd get trying to take our own bowser onto their airfields and refuelling yoursef. Jeez - they'd go nuts and rightly so too! You wouldn't dream of doing that here, would you?
Some what tongue in cheek sir (re: bowser) when I posted..but for 'hassle' many French fields will close for 'Lunch' (sometimes for more than an hour).. or will prioritise re-fuelling for heavy aircraft over GA (e.g. Dinard)..or may (like some fields in Germany) not take Visa/Mastercard, requiring you to use either cash or Shell/BP cards (I now have both after my experiences).

..and it is a helicopter, so doesn't need a runway necessarily..maybe just a friendly farmers field

Careful planning and contacting fields ahead of time is obviously good practice. In the past I have done just that for long trips - so they know I am coming.

2 hrs leg ...based on B47D1 (29 Gallons useable) endurance (bladder and numb bum endurance of pilot), with 1 hr safety...I would obviously expect that you would either adjust the leg or wait if conditions were unsuitable (wx/wind, etc.) for the flight.

I fly fixed wing IFR so use Jeppview for my IFR flight planning and then plot Aerads or Jepp charts. I use Flitestar for initial VFR flight planning and routing; and then plot the route on charts to verify for obstacles, frequencies, etc.

..anyhow..agree with 170 and SASless, trailering is 'best' way...though won't be as much fun

Blue Skies all!