PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - If Carlsberg ran Air Forces they would probably be the best in the world...
Old 12th Dec 2011, 21:21
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if we all went MTP, kept our headress and our Service Stable Belts to distinguish the Services, if the rather large badge stating Royal Air Force or Royal Navy and the TRF wasn't a big enough clue! Thereby getting rid of blue, shirts, white shirts, brown shirts, long sleeve, short sleeve, 15 different Mks of Jersey various colours of trouser etc etc etc ad infinitum! Trust me, wearing MTP day in, day out, for the last 9 months has been extremely comfortable in all weathers!
I have not read all the posts but thought a reminder that 'round and round goes the ruddy great wheel'.

I can remember just how far back to common uniform idea went, Mountbatten I think. The principle was to be:

1. All wear the same.
2. If not then all the cloth to be the same, just different colours.
3. All patterns to be the same with embellishments if necessary.

Naturally the RN stepped sideways which left the RAF and Army, oh and the RM.

The RM could not wear either the same colour or same cloth as the Army.

The RN had a different flying coverall from the RAF and the AAC was different too.

The woolly pulley at last was an item where there should be no problem except for the colour.

Except the RAF went from ribbed to plain, round neck to V, to round neck and ribbed with the RN and Army unable to keep up.