PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ME or Singapore
Thread: ME or Singapore
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2011, 13:05
sequel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds a bit "Kingfishery" to me, you meet the rquirements for most all carriers here in the Gulf
Your money is on the spot!!..
I guess I do meet the requirements, but the main confusion I have is wait for command in India, log 2000odd PIC hrs, and move or move NOW..in the first case I delay moving by abt 3 yrs, but I guess m safe career wise as I would have command time. Also, generally how long wld it tke for command in companies like Tiger, Silk, or EK/EY/QR etc.. (I read the post abt EK command policy change, and tink its a good sign)

As an Indian in Singapore you won't have to put up with the racism you'll get in the Middle East. It's worth bearing in mind you can apply for citizenship in Singapore after a few years, something which will never happen in the sand pit. Forget an expat lifestyle, you'll need to live like the locals to get by particularly as an F/O.
The racism bit is very true. As somebody put it nicely- In ME the locals are like God's son's, the whites are Guests and the brown/blacks and everything else is labour. Singapore wins this round.

Cars- Yes, will have to wait it out in Singapore.

Citizenship- Interesting. Am not really familiar with the workings of this. So in Singapore I can apply for PR after a while, but in ME I cant??..is that correct. How long is the waiting before I can apply for PR if Singapore.

Expat Lifestyle- Will definately have to live on a budget if I wanna save a little money in Singapore.

Look at Jetstar and Tiger, low cost with pilot turn over = quick promotion.
Tiger- I heard inductions on hold until Feb/March 2012.
Jetstar- I read on their website they need an Australian ATPL even for Singapore. I got ICAO. The jetstar career page reads:
Code:
The minimum requirements for selection across the Jetstar Group are:

Hold an Australian ATPL
Silk Air: Meet their requirements, but not sure they hiring FO.

Probably better of financially in the M.E. with an expat package, certainly better for car ownership. Air Arabia have been hit hard by FlyDubai, worth looking at EK/EY/QR with Airbus experience there's plenty of info on other threads.
ME- pay good, cars and fuel cheap..yipee!!..but wx sucks in comparison to Singapore, plus racism and no PR possibility. one cant have everyting.

Flydubai- Nice pay. Accepting non type rated guys. Good for me. But what is the upgrade scene here. How long is the wait before I get my left seat.

Air Arabia- Company run by locals. Heard not the best work environment, though pay is good.

Etihad- Indefinate waiting time from application to call. If called and selected- good option.

Emirates- Best of the lot.

Qatar- Management issues.

Gulf- Again, good bet. But I doubt they taking FO.

Please correct me if my observations are wrong.