PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 12th Dec 2011, 10:24
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GtE, I agree fully. Everybody is free to make their own lifestyle choices, including spending (too much) money on interesting hobbies, jewelery, gadgets etc. Heck, most of us on here spend several thousands each year on an entirely non-functional hobby. If all decisions were made rationally there would not be any Private Flying in Europe.

However the original question was not so much a "lifestyle" question, but a functional question on whether the built-in whizzwheel in a "pilots" watch was useful, etc.

And the overwhelming majority came up with a simple "no". Anything that tells you time to the nearest minute is good enough for PPL style flying. For CPL and/or IR you're going to need a stopwatch. Add big numbers and big knobs, plus a way of using it conveniently at night, and you've the ideal "functional" pilot watch.

(But you might not want to be seen wearing that in a suit...)

why on earth should you take the £500 watch off that you like wearing with a suit at work, to put on a £20 Casio to go flying?
The analog watch I'm wearing when I'm wearing a suit works just fine for VFR flying. But when I'm diving, I'm replacing it with my diving watch. When I'm playing sports, I take it off altogether. And when I'm refereeing, I replace it with a cheap digital watch because I need an accurate stopwatch.

Different requirements; different watches. Why would you need one timepiece that does it all?