PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why does the PA-38 Tomahawk have a wing life of 11,000 hours?
Old 12th Dec 2011, 08:06
A and C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A longer life

There is a life extension program for the PA38 that involves some wing modification, I think that this would be an option if Piper supported the aircraft in terms of parts. Five or so years back I was looking at buying two PA38's as they were cheap and then doing the life extension work. What did for the deal was the spake parts situation not the modification work.

The Buldog is another aircraft with an airframe life issue hanging over its head with the RAF getting withdrawing the aircraft from service because of the cost of doing the life extension work that BAe had proposed. As always BAe had gold plated the contract and pitched it at just under the cost of buying new aircraft. The RAF found a cheaper way of financing new aircraft and ditched the Buldog.

Buldog owners are now facing the choice of a very expensive modification or scrapping the aircraft if they get the work done individually, the last time I looked at the issue the problem was the cost of setting up the manufacture of the spar bolts, if all the Buldog owners got together they could drive the unit costs of the bolts down to something reasonable and each of them have a set of bolts ready for the day when the aircraft needs the work doing.

Things on the Buldog front may well have moved on in the last few weeks with the change in status of DH support and the chance to put the Buldog on a permit to fly, however I doubt if the cracks radiating from the spar bolts understand the difference certification management and are likely to grow at the same rate making the modification mandatory who ever provides the paperwork.