PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots warn about Turkish Airline in Danish news paper Politikken
Old 11th Dec 2011, 19:54
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
I was genuinely quite shocked that this little "intro" might be in fact a heads-up as to how they operated, & wasn't quite sure by the end of it if I really wanted to find out.
:Catsplay

Spot on.

The B737 HoT would shut down engines without command as PNF, without using a checklist, without confirmation, without... in fact any common practice being employed (except, this appears to be the common practice at the particular airline...). i saw this first hand, and probably didn't endear myself by asking "WTF are you doing? ", while trying politely to break his wrist.

A candidate was given an single engine flame out, and the support training captain shuts down without command the other engine. The aircraft glides into the Bosphorus, and the candidate fails...

AS CPS has noted, this is not limited to the "Sons of Anarchy"... but it is prevalent and the recent history bodes ill, particularly following their AMS bingle where apparently no one is interested in the learning points. (it took the "Dukes of Hazzard" 25 crashes to become anally compliant and far better at covering up their more recent 3 write-offs as maintenance retirements...). (In a past life in a culture that is rather "straight laced..." an FO tried to shut down the wrong engine without command ina sim session, and I picked his hand off the fuel control switch by the overly large fascia of his "Pilots Watch". Apparently this constitutes a touch in their society. I stopped the sim session and we went outside for a chat. His complaint was I "touched" him, and my response was that in an aircraft if he did the same I would probably "touch" him with a fire axe, and remove his offending wayward uncontrolled appendage from the equation. FWIW, anywhere, anytime, I reserve the right as the responsible party to remove acts of sabotage from the program, and I can give less than a toss for the personal insult that may be implied by the recipients of tough love.

PS, quickest way out of THY apparently was to make a PA and call Istanbul by its old name... For a group happy to be peeved at the characterisation of the treatment of the Armenians (not to mention the more recent dealings with the Kurds) as something less than friendly (genocide)... there appears to be an underlying unresolved issue or two on identity.

Great food, nice people.... lovely city.