PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447 final crew conversation - Thread No. 1
Old 11th Dec 2011, 08:20
Island-Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Clandestino

CRM is useless when pilots lack resources of their own to manage.
What resources did these pilots lack? Their airspeed indication? I didn't realize you were suppose to disregard CRM when the aircraft encounters an instrumentation malfunction. My opinion based on their interactions is the only resource they lacked was adequate training.

Air France pilots have previously successfully negotiated loss of all airspeed in A330s.
How many times? A good training program is not "good enough", it means that 100% of the time the crew would be able to identify a malfunction and take appropriate action to a satisfactory outcome. Obviously these pilots could not understand what should have been a relatively easy avionics error to "fly through".

As long as anyone claiming independent sticks on Bus are problem does not support the claim with some verifiable research, I'll consider such utterances unreliable & irrelevant.
Defensive much? I didn't state that as a fact but rather that I believe it, as in it's my opinion. However from the information I've read on AF447 it appears that the independent movement of control sticks was a small contributor to the accident chain and removed one additional opportunity for the accident to be prevented. Had the PNF noticed that the PF had frozen his stick nose up perhaps he would have forced the proper correction. All I can tell you is that there have been times in my career when an uncommanded or unintentional control input has been noticed because the PNF control column moved and was noticed, resulting in proper correction. Mind you this applied primarily to GNE due to lateral errors and rarely pitch problems.