PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 21:23
rans6andrew

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
my 2 pence worth.

For ALL inside the aircraft time related stuff I use a £2.99 digital stopwatch from Maplins. It has just 3 BIG buttons, large display digits, can be easily operated by touch, can display time of day, has stopwatch, timer and for nights away it has an alarm clock.

Nobody should be flying with their head inside the cockpit for the time it takes to do anything with their Citizen NightHawk. It is a two handed job with the watch off your wrist. I know, I wear one some days. It is great for timing the run and walk regime of my exercise programme as it beeps at the correct time. It is rubbish for reading the timer while running and tricky to do the same while walking.

I also have a couple of Breitling watches and a couple of Seiko watches, all have hands and are great for telling the time of DAY while flying or driving but not so good when light levels fall. They are NOT good for fumbling with while airborne.

As for having the time correct to within a fraction of a second, why? Give or take a minute or two is neither here nor there. If you really want to have the time to that precision then look to your GPS.

Rans6.....