PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 7
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 21:08
BraceBrace

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I might be making a totally stupid remark, but the "wind chart", even though it's not reliable, made my mind think "physics of flight".

Don't know the A330, neither how silent/loud it is and how loud changing airplane velocity is. These "speed of airflow" changes are not always created by changes in airplane speed, but also by violent up- or downdrafts. I wonder if, even when the airplane reduces its speed in reality, the sound of increasing violent updrafts could've created a false sense of speed.

On the other hand you have the physical characteristics of low speed stall (low speed because the "stall" protection is here primarily a low speed protection), which in my brain has always been a "silent" maneuver because of low speed. Yes buffet will be there, but it can also be a characteristic of higher speed flight.

If that is the case the "initial pull" seems logical because the physical environment gives you the impression of being in an airplane that increases speed. Add a "stall" warning on top, and confusion can be total. Sense and computers give totally opposite impressions to the pilot and it is only the "wind sound level". We all know the problem of visual illusions, however they can also be physical.