PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Sea weather this winter
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 18:05
Colibri49

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those out there who might hanker for a North Sea flying job, things I won't miss after I retire:

Winds en route getting close to 70 knots (less rare these days) with drift angles of 25+ degrees. Wind strengths approaching this level warn me that everything is going to be less than pleasant.

The nightmare (hasn't yet happened to me) of not being able to shut down offshore in turbulent winds above 50 knots, after a warning light e.g. MGB/IGB/TGB has appeared, or the offshore refuelling pump has failed which did happen to me, but the deck crew fixed it after 40 minutes.

Landing on a heaving deck particularly on a black night with no other visual references and the new junior copilot next to me is the only one who can see the deck, so he must do it.

Landing on any deck with obsructions near the tail rotor and the colleague who must perform the landing is a "diagonal" man rather than a "right-angled" man. What tension I get in my neck!

Violent windshear and turbulence when passing through weather fronts, or downwind of hilly terrain, such that it's difficult to keep things in limits even manually.

Lightning; increasingly frequent in this century.

Taxiing with no passengers on board and a low fuel state in order to proceed in gusty crosswinds from passenger drop-off spot to parking spot, especially when the other guy is doing it and doesn't seem to do much to counteract any leaning tendency.

Lifting off a deck into the inky blackness or blinding snow/rain and hoping that this isn't going to be the moment that a donkey quits. Thank goodness for EC225 automatics and performance which greatly improve the chances of climbing "out of the hole".

Weather which changes without warning at onshore destinations/alternates and could embarass us fuel-wise. Again, the EC225 performance almost always allows the carriage of maximum fuel, and anyone who doesn't avail him/herself of this deserves to be caught out.

I could drone on about the scary stuff, but I do love this job more than 90% of the time and can recommend it to those who want to try joining. We do actually earn our pay when you take into account the 10% scary times.