PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 10:48
Papa2Charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aer Lingus Regional

Thanks for the information on the EI Regional capacity.

As far as I'm aware, 4 x ATR72-500's and 2 x ATR72-212's have been dedicated to the regional brand. The aircraft which had the accident in Shannon was later replaced with one of the other 212's being painted in EIR colours. According to Ascend, the damaged airframe is due back in Service in December but I'm not sure if this is reliable.

On the topic of growth, I think they'll continue to add one or two routes here and there over the coming seasons. The real question in my mind is whether or not they can step up the game a little and pick up some EI mainline flying on thinner routes which are hard to justify with a A320 series aircraft. It's been reported in the past that EI were examining the options for C-Series and E-Jets......could these find their way into the Aer Lingus Regional brand? The economics would be appealing for Aer Lingus given the lower cost base of Aer Arann and Aer Arann would presumably get access to routes and growth otherwise not achievable on its own. Prospective routes could follow the Lufthansa Cityline model and involve flights complimentary to the mainline e.g. additional frequency to key European destinations.

Just a thought but from a financial perspective, it'd be appealing for both operators I'd imagine.