PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 08:46
chris lz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FGD,

Thank you for the summary.

Do you have any general thoughts why, after so many years, the two "sides" can't seem to agree?

One sticking point for me: is that AINS really to be trusted to the same degree as either A) one's eyes; B) ground based instruments? Neither of these alone could be relied on at the time the let-down commenced. I find the argument they had justification in treating AINS as a substitute for an instrument let-down (effectively the case) contradicted by precisely the type of confusion that led to the accident. Isn't that enough to declare reliance on AINS dangerous in any analogous situation? What would you suppose most commercial pilots would say?

Finally, isn't there something intuitive that before descending below clouds, and in VMC, that you positively identify the location of the mountain first? Isn't that just basic, even while acknowledging the validity of the many cruel coincidences working against the crew?

I, for one, will be here again in 2019 as long as the answers to these basic questions are not explained to my full satisfaction.