PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest on Hainan Airlines
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 08:22
USMCProbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will answer as best I can. First to Worldrover, and this is as best I can, and I am looking into the 330 deal as well. And I live in Seattle, am currently a "chinese" pilot for the same parent airline. There is very little chance I will do it.

They really don't have anything sorted out. They make "current and qualified' expats do 6 months plus of line training, god knows what they would require of 330 CCQ guys. Scheduling? Nobody knows, it has never been done. I do know it will be done to the benefit of Chinese crews, not us. Based in Seattle? That means somebody has to deadhead, and since the Chinese do that for free, and don't even count it as "duty" time (actually they count it as "rest"), that means it won't be them, it will probably be you. How many roundtrips? Again, nobody knows and I have asked. If the Chinese discover they can run an import/export business out of their suitcases you may never fly back and forth to Seattle other than to return home on your vacation rotation.

Too many unknowns for me, and the things I do know about HNair make me want to avoid it. I would actually recommend Spring, BCA, or Tianjin before HNair. Money is the same or better, and Tianjin you can get 6/3, although of couple of us here are going to try to negotiate the same if we sign a new contract. All three of these airlines have been treating expats well for the last couple of years, including me.

As far as PEK accomodation, from what I saw on the contract briefs it is your own responsibilty. Expat apartments in PEK are expensive (1000-1300) for a 70 sq meter 1 bedroom. You can get cheaper stuff by the airport but there is not much there. The "Hainan Hilton" may or may not be free for you, I am not sure. It is a dump, but at least it has tile floors and is "clean", or at least by Chinese airline hotel standards it is clean. It also has year round heat and air conditioning. The fact that I mentioned this last tidbit should concern you about Chinese airline hotels. LOL

The dream job I have now? 12 minutes by motorbike to dispatch, along the beach road. Mostly 1 day trips, usually 2 legs a day, once a week maybe 4. I work 14 days a month, returning home every night to the beforementioned beach at 19 degrees north latitude. I hope it lasts.

From what I have seen, only 1 in 10 pass the interview, and maybe 1 in 2 that come here for a job, actually get the job. Rarely is talent the discriminating factor. The other 1 out of 2 go home, jobless.

I only recommend Chinese jobs to those that have another job that they can return to if it doesn't work out.

I just passed my last PC of this contract, and have 1 more medical left. My long term dream is just to finish this contract and get my bonus money. That is 6 months from now, and that is about as far as my "event horizon" is in China.

For now though, it is great.

Good luck to those that try. I doubt I would do it over again.