PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Phelan 's latest
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2011, 05:21
Sandy Reith

Received 77 Likes on 36 Posts
Cowboys and CASA posses

Sarcs, you say that Maurie Baston, ex CASA emplyee, said it all.

Without a doubt he did go right to the nub of the disastrous state of affairs when a man's livelihood can be smashed without a proper recourse to law. Let alone the dreadful malaise that has overtaken GA.

With apologies to Maurie he hit the nail right on the head when he said that they used to try and get the "cowboys" and leave the others alone.

Thia attitude, the CASA MO now of many years, to "get the cowboys" is a complete anathema to the rule of law and the good governance of a civilised nation. Unfortunately this attitude is even given some credence within the industry, often by those who's skills are still in formation. It is so easy to sling off about someone you hardly know, "oh, that cowboy, he doesn't know how to fly safely like me", or some such ego driven remark.

The duty of those who are charged with maintaining compliance with the law is to apprehend those in breach of those laws and have them dealt with in law. It is not, repeat not, their role to seek out those who are in their opinion "cowboys". Because CASA has been let loose with almost zero supervision or accountability they have taken on themselves not to worry about the law but simply to"get" the cowboys.

In other words, rule by personalities instead of rule by laws. Rule by law is a precious commodity and we should all stand up for it.

Its just too bad that FOI's or the hierarchy have little or no understanding or proper training in legal theory, methods of policing and patently have no idea about the efficacy of their methods. It really has become very bad when commercial pilots will not go to airshows because they are liable to be hounded by the zealous "let's find a cowboy" posse of CASA inspectors. Reading the thread there are examples of this. I have heard first hand the same sad circumstances.

In regards to John and Sophie Quadrio, they are the victims of the "get a cowboy" mentality. John and Sophie should be supported to the hilt. I hear that we should get publicity but not go into technicalities. I believe we should get publicity anywhere we can, but I also believe that John's case would make a great TV one hour special. His case has all the ingredients, The little bloke doing his job gets clobbered, on the video evidence of a jail-bird, by the bullying so called experts who are only expert at keeping their noses in the public trough. Nine of them sitting smugly at the AAT hearing? Then along comes Paul Phelan's expose and finding "The Birds" ...Wot birds?? Er.. Um... as well as Paul's "angle" models, are in keeping with CSI, Poirot or Inspector Morse. And now the aftermath, with so many stories of wrongdoing by the out-of-control CASA, all the court cases, dismissals, reappearances as consultants, and the whole sorry saga of an industry in decline and distress to Australia's detriment.

And finally, here's a thought for grand final year 2021 at the MCG.

(Headline) FOOTY FANS SWAMPED BY POLICE
The MCG today; 3000 police checked all vehicles arriving at the MCG and found drivers without properly updated maps, many without logbooks, service dates overdue, vehicles with under-inflated tyres, overloaded, loose articles and some with Suspicious Attitudes. Police advised that these latter types, referred to as "cowboys", were dealt with summarily to save wasting time in court because they certainly were guilty of something.

The Premier was unavailable for comment but reliable sources close to government said that it was regrettable there may have been a few that were shot without due process but it is for the safety of the majority and the law must be upheld.