PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Real chances of finding a float job.
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 23:11
rocket66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Real chances of finding a float job.

Hi all,

Right, I've been doing some research on this forum and internet regarding finding a float job in Canada. I hold an Australian Commercial License with Multi Instrument rating and all my ATPL subjects with about 350hrs TT. My wife and I would love to live in Canada and naturally I would love to fly sepalanes in such a beautiful place. In saying that, last time I asked hiring was slow and the economy was pretty flat so Im wondering if things have picked up.

Firstly, I understand I need the right to live and work in canada which is my first priority.

Second is I understand the cost of living can vary quite a bit. In saying that, what kind of places have an 'average' cost of living? ie. in the North or is it around the major cities?

Thrid is converting my license. Does anyone know if its as simple as a Law exam and a flight test or is there more to it than that?

From what I can see the min experience required varies between operators. I have an DHC2-FP endorsement but very limited float time. Seaplane jobs in Australia are rare and difficult to come by simply because you can count the amount of seaplanes we have here on one hand, and jobs that do arise you need experience to be successful so its a viscious circle. Naturally I want to learn from some of the best seaplane operators in the world, so Its my intetion to start where I need to start and learn all that I can!

any help you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,
Rocket