PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IEEE Spectrum Article: "When Will We Have Unmanned Commercial Airliners?"
Old 9th Dec 2011, 22:03
MathFox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*Call me when they build a flight controls computer that can log onto PPRuNe after hours and shoot the bull with real pilots to pick up handy advice from experienced practitioners.
Logging onto PPRuNe is the easy part... a GPRS (GSM) modem will even allow in-flight bull-sh*t-ting on the forums. A properly designed solid state computer can withstand 30-100g, so most bad landings will be survivable for the AI (that will be able to brag on on PPRuNe until consumed by the post-crash file.) Picking up good advice... I will need to discuss that topic with a natural language processing expert. (I am fairly sure that the AI will be programmed to avoid PPRuNe there)

With drones already flying around (with incentive to improve performance) there will soon be a choice of "robotic flight controllers", all too poor for passenger transport. However, some controllers will be suitable for (small, Cessna sized) unmanned freight transport. How much domestic use will the FAA allow? That's the major question that will ultimately decide upon acceptance.