PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Sabre/Indon Mustang Engagement During Konfrontasi.
Old 9th Dec 2011, 20:50
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When in Butterworth, I recall stories of the Indons dropping parachutists into coastal Malaysia from a C130 on at least one occasion, and of the RAF Javelins being launched to intercept the Herc. My memory is a bit hazy on the details, but I think at least one such para drop did occur, for I recall that the parachutists (only a small number) were picked up by the Malaysians within hours of landing (in a swamp, somewhere near Malacca, I think) in a very sorry state.

Everyone at the top was very keen to downplay anything that might escalate matters, so there was no public announcement of this or any similar incursions. (I think everyone at the top on the Brit/Malaysian side were hoping Confrontation would just 'go away'.)

It was a similar situation a few years later with the Malaysians and the remnants of the "CTs" - (Communist Terrorists, leftovers from "the Emergency") - still roaming the hills (in VERY small numbers, I'd be guessing, and as much straight out bandits by then as a military/political force) to the north east of Butterworth. There was a story - (of course, unconfirmed, but it would have been around 1969, I think) - of the Malaysian army suffering a considerable number of casualties, (somewhere near 30 dead, or so the storyteller said), in one engagement with the CTs which caused such loss of face that the bodies of the dead were left in one of the Malaysian CH3s (of were they Seakings?) that sat out on a remote stand on the Butterworth apron for quite a few days in the tropical heat while the Powers That Be tried to decide who was responsible for them. The story went into pretty gruesome details about the state of that aircraft cabin when they at last decided to remove them.

All bar talk of course.