PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 13:20
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 441 Likes on 233 Posts
I've been flying for my living since 1977. During my military career we were required to put troops on the ground at a grid reference within fifteen seconds of a given time. I've never once found the need for a watch with anything other than one big hand, one small hand and a second hand.

The date is useful once a day when filling out the tech log for the first time but these days I can get that off my mobile phone.

I now fly using a basic and simple Citzen Eco-drive titanium watch (never needs a new battery), but not the aviation one.

I was given a brand new Breitling Navigator some years ago (then worth about £1200?) but I found the claws on the rotating bezel snagged on my jumper cuff and pulled threads, so I never use it when flying.

I would agree with those above who say that if you need a stopwatch for the type of flying you do, buy a simple, straightforward but separate stop watch. Digital or analogue, whatever you prefer, but make sure it's simple and reliable to operate because the one thing that ruins your split second timing is pressing the control knob then after an unknown number of seconds finding it didn't actually start timing.