PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eliminating the last trace of Outlook Express.
Old 9th Dec 2011, 12:08
Cameronian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eliminating the last trace of Outlook Express.

Some years ago I switched to Thunderbird but didn't get round to uninstalling Outlook Express for quite a while later. I can't be sure but I expect that I did the uninstall via Control Panel. Up until very recently I have seen neither hide nor hair of Outlook Express on my computer and had completely forgotten about it.

However, only recently, every time I boot my computer I have started getting a message box asking my permission for Outlook Express to compact files to reduce space (rather annoyingly at about the same time Thunderbird started to do the same thing whenever I first touch anything after loading it).

It seems that there is not enough of OE left for me to get to it to remove it. I don't know how to get Revo Uninstaller to get hold of it either as, unsurprisingly, OE doesn't come up on its list of installed programs, even though there clearly is at least some of it left behind. I am toying with the idea of reinstalling OE from somewhere so that Revo Uninstaller can get a handle on it in the hope that it will then be able to remove the last traces of the old installation at the same time....

I don't know if that's a good idea, just in case the newer version has a changed file structure which won't lead Revo to the old bits. In any event I haven't found OE anywhere to download yet though I haven't looked at MS in case I catch something!

Can any wise PPRuNer advise, please?