PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 11:43
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 'Rotary' watch, I cant see what its name is as the writing is too small. It was about £100 (though reduced) from £200 in last years xmas sale. It has a rotating dial, and a stop watch. However, the most useful and exciting thing about it is that it has a picture of some wings, and as a pilot, thats all I want .

I dont use a whizz wheel for flight planning on the ground. There are electronic pilot calculators which are much more friendly, or pieces of software or websites that will help with most basic flight planning calculations. I cant ever imagine myself trying to squint at a tiny watch and attempt to perform some whizz wheel calculation, and fly the plane at the same time. The watch is only good for time functions (brakes off, brakes on and ETA calculations). A stopwatch is very useful for diversions, holds, procedural approaches (if and when you do IMC training), however I prefer something simple to operate, with relatively large numbers. To that end we have a small basic timer / stopwatch mounted on the yoke, or I use the timer function on our Garmin digital transponder. Timers on watches are too fiddly.

IMO, a pilot watch with lots of functions, is just something that is used aesthetically.