PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Film Stars in Military History
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 08:12
Noyade

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sinatra

How many other movie 'heroes' avoided serving for their country?
Hard to know.

Earlier this year I watched for the first time, "None But the Brave" with Frank Sinatra, who also directed the movie. Anyway, seen him in a number of war movies so I thought I'd google his war record....

Sinatra did not serve in the military during World War II. On December 11, 1943, he was classified 4-F ("Registrant not acceptable for military service") for a perforated eardrum by his draft board. Additionally, an FBI report on Sinatra, released in 1998, showed that the doctors had also written that he was a "neurotic" and "not acceptable material from a psychiatric standpoint". This was omitted from his record to avoid "undue unpleasantness for both the selectee and the induction service".[30][31] Active-duty servicemen, like journalist William Manchester, said of Sinatra, "I think Frank Sinatra was the most hated man of World War II, much more than Hitler", because Sinatra was back home making all of that money and being shown in photographs surrounded by beautiful women.[32] His exemption would resurface throughout his life and cause him grief when he had to defend himself.[30][33] There were accusations, including some from noted columnist Walter Winchell,[34] that Sinatra paid $40,000 to avoid the service – but the FBI found no evidence of this.[31][35]