PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 02:39
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You see, I can't agree with that either. The details he had in the printout in his hands the night before, and from which all his notes came, showed a waypoint just west of the Dailey Islands. For whatever reason, the mnemonic code for this waypoint was "MCMURDO". If Wilson said "direct Cape Hallett to McMurdo", without directly referencing the station it would have been perfectly logical to suppose that it was this waypoint (the one that was changed without notifying Collins or his crew) that he was in fact referring to. The McMurdo NDB was no longer there - officially at least - and the TACAN was useless until they were south of Ross Island.

Now - Capt. Simpson goes down a few weeks before, and one of the things I noted in an earlier thread was a suggestion made by someone - it may even have been yourself - that the waypoint was not where he expected it to be. This isn't the case - the waypoint was exactly where he expected it to be, but McMurdo Station itself was not. Simpson reports this anomaly to Thompson and hears nothing else about it until after the accident. We don't know what exactly was said - but the gist was that the waypoint called "MCMURDO" was 27 miles from the base itself. We don't know exactly what Simpson was expecting either - given that the de facto track went down McMurdo Sound to the Dailey Islands, they could just as easily have renamed the waypoint "DAILEY" and left it there - but the nav section discovers a mistake, elects to quickly and quietly deal with it themselves and the rest is history.

The Dailey Islands track was in the computer for 14 months before the crash - 14 months! - and we're expected to believe that every single crew that went to the briefings heard Capt. Wilson say the track went over McMurdo Station (and hence Erebus), plotted the track to the Dailey Islands, followed the track to the Dailey Islands and never said "Why is the 'MCMURDO' waypoint nowhere near the Station and why were we flying into the Sound rather than Lewis Bay"? I don't buy it - I just can't. I think when they heard him say "via McMurdo" that he meant the Sound and the waypoint.