PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paul Holmes and Erebus
View Single Post
Old 9th Dec 2011, 01:04
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ampan - The problem that I have is this; that the documents to which you refer were submitted by counsel for Air New Zealand and as such cannot be expected to tell the entire story, knowing what we know about shredders, missing ringbinder pages and break-ins.

DD covered this on a thread a couple of years ago, but Captain Wilson, who performed the briefing for the Simpson and Collins crews, testified to making a verbal addendum to the script that it was standard practice to go lower than 6,000ft if invited to do so by ATC. Some of the management pilots who swore that they had never busted the 6,000ft limit were confronted by press articles and write-ups proving that they had in fact done just that. A McDonnell-Douglas executive penned one of the articles, so he knew. Every home with a mailing address in NZ received a copy of a promotional article, so everyone who read that article knew - and yet the only conclusion we can draw from the NZCA's assertions is that they did not read those articles, or if they read them did not immediately get ANZ on the blower and ask what the hell was going on? I don't buy it.

We know Wilson diverged from the script there by his own testimony, so who's to say that he didn't mention in passing to disregard the old 1977 tracks and refer to the co-ordinates on the printouts supplied at the briefing?

NZALPA's deposition stated that as well as the promotional materials, there was a photocopied chart showing the McMurdo Sound INS track in the briefing materials.

I don't think Collins would have "eeny-meenyed" with documents of that nature. I believe he plotted the co-ordinates the night before to establish what the *actual* track - i.e. the one that he believed would be programmed into the computer the next day - looked like, and it didn't look like a track direct to McMurdo.