PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wrist watches...
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 22:54
RyanRs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot Wrist watches...

My girlfriend is going to treat me to a watch for my xmas present but tbh i dont know the first thing about watches and could use a little advice!

Basically, i am nearing the Qualifying cross country stage of my PPL training and obviously a watch of some sort is required for navigation and i am currently making do with a girls pink £5 jobbie that is pure crap tbh! I have seen the Citizen Red-arrows range of pilot watches, they look very nice and appear to have a lot of functions on them, i would love to own one however £400~500 is 'in my opinion' bloomin expensive for a watch and i know my gf cannot afford that much on one! My instructor tells me that all these pilot specific watches are a waste of money and all i need is a reliable and accurate watch that literally does not much else but 'Tell the time'! Now i can see where he is coming from but still, they are nice watches and if the features are actually worth the extra, i could always pay some towards it to get one.

What is everyone's opinions on the Pilot specific watches? specially the Citizen skyhawk/Red arrows range? Do you really find yourself using the built in wizz wheel / slide rule whilst in flight? does the watch actually become a very handy piece of kit? Or in reality does everyone who buys these, buy them and never actually used them for anything more than telling the time!!?

Heres a website with the Red-arrows range:
Buy Citizen Red Arrows Watches | Official UK Dealer | First Class Watches

Thanks for the advice!
Ryan