PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairchild Merlin twinprop disappeard off coast in Norway
Old 8th Dec 2011, 22:39
Mega

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeaa Metro...

Maybe juust a little bit of the topic but i feel i have to let it out and shear it with you.

Many years ago i did my Metro III left seat training in the aeroplane before the CAA checkride ( did SIM at FS International ). However, after a normal ILS in simulated IMC ie blocked windscreen, just when full thrust/torque was applied at minima 200ft. And as the gear was rising my instructor pulled the right power lever down to flight idle, in normal conditions the NTS system would have kicked in and eased it a little bit before feather but he tought that i could manage flight idle then simulate feather. We never got to that point! Now things started to happen pretty quick. Remember minimum airspeed at 200ft.
Flightcontrols at full deflection the aircraft just wanted to flip over i slowly pushed the nose forward and shouted " give me my freaking engine back".
His hands was already there and pushed the right engine slowly back to max torque still with my my controls at full deflection and about 75 degrees of bank before i slowly managed to get it wings level again.

We climbed out of it and aborted session naturally with brown skidmarks in the throusers. On the way back to the base airport we tried the same manuvre at 12000ft with the exakt same result.

The problem was that right engine flight idle was set to low ( dont remember how much ) and simultanesly right gear took an eternety to go back up when selected, those two in combination with actual training in A/C at low AS and 200 ft is still my most horrifying near death experience. Just a few years before this incident same company we bought this Metro from did an almost exactly the same turned over during a pull up with devastating result ( no survivors ) oboy did i had that one in my mind during the trip back home.
I was fortunate that time, thats for sure.

Had to release my hart with this one