PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QANTAS grounding and E.U. Regulation 261 / 2004
Old 8th Dec 2011, 18:25
dispossessed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks for your replies.

We were booked from Heathrow to Sydney (via Singapore). We are both E.U. / British Nationals living in the U.K although my wife has dual UK / Australian nationality.

I did check the QANTAS website regarding conditions of carriage (here). Additionally, I have a copy of the regulation in PDF Format on Qantas branded paper downloaded from their website.

Additionally, their UK manager (Paul Yankson) seemed to confirm they were going to pay the compensation due under the E.U. regulations in articles published here and here on the 24/11/11.

I decided to go right to the top and so e-mailed Alan Joyce personally about 10 days ago. He did not answer directly but passed my "query" on to a person called "Linda" in Executive Services but her reply made absloutely no mention of my enquiry and was of the "Qantas regrets any inconvenience etc" variety.

I was aware of the provision for "extraordinary circumstances" (although in this context there appear to be few precedents) but as the cancellation was not caused by strike action I cannot see how this would apply.

On other boards (Aussie Frequent Flyer etc) it appears that Australians are receiving free (internal & NZ) flights, Frequent Flyer points, upgrades et al !

We (along with many others) were severely inconvenienced by the grounding. We are still awaiting our reimbursment let alone any compensation.

Anyway, any information is gratefully received.