PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U2 @ Akrotiri
Thread: U2 @ Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 17:37
Courtney Mil

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Well found, 500N. I think I can help with some of the that. I was an IP (Instructor Pilot) on the F-15 RTU (like our OCU, teaching pilots to fly/operate the F-15) for a few (sorry, a lot of) years, so have some insight into what they're talking about. But only fighter hours, I'm afraid.

These guys are graduates so that's around 21 years old before they start. Air Force Academy (etc), flying training is another 3 years (or so, depending on how well the system is working). RTU (learning to fly, let's say, the F-16) is another 6 months or more. So the guy (generic term, which can, but may not, include female pilots) will now be knocking on the door of 24/25, absolute minimum.

500 hours, assuming this doesn't count RTU time would take at least one front line tour (or more, but being on ops could push up the flying hours), another 2-3 years. So he's now well into his late 20s, assuming everything has gone smoothly AND he's had the time/opportunity/ability to get the gradings they're asking for. Of course, by the time he's got all that, it may not be a natural break point in his career so he'll probably be looking for qualifications on type so that he can come back to the F-16 (in this case, but same for other fighter types) with a future.

ANSWER: Late 20s absolute minimum, but unlikely for fighter guys. More than likely early 30s. The bit about being a passed over Lt Col, MUCH later.

No youngsters in there.

Courtney

Last edited by Courtney Mil; 8th Dec 2011 at 18:02.