PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U2 @ Akrotiri
Thread: U2 @ Akrotiri
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 16:36
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAM

I found what I was looking for, the background info and application to be a U2 pilot.
Might as well get it from the horses mouth if you can.

"Operational sorties average 5 to 9 hours in duration, exceed 70,000 ft " "
These last 6-12 hours, depending on the mission."

"The demanding high-altitude reconnaissance mission of the U-2 program requires motivated aviators with a high degree of self-confidence, professionalism and excellent airmanship skills." "we're looking for a few good aviators who possess the extraordinary combination of outstanding flying skills, airmanship, officership,"

Seems to me they want pilots who have "been around a bit", not just out of flight school.

"The U-2 program continually seeks new applicants for this competitive selection process. Currently, about 38% of applicants become U-2 pilots. Those selected for the interview phase generally possess a strong flight evaluation history, strong OPR's, their wing commander's recommendation, and meet or exceed the minimum flying time requirements. As always, an applicant's breadth and depth of experience weigh heavily in the selection process. There are a wide variety of backgrounds in the U-2 pilot cadre, to include B-1, C-130, F-16, FAIPS, TPS graduates, B-52, EA-6B, A-10, KC-135, S-3, C-21, P-3, F-18, T-45, etc... Aviators from the Air National Guard or AF Reserves are encouraged to explore this extraordinary opportunity. If you're interested in performing a unique and demanding mission in a uniquely demanding aircraft, then the U-2 may be for you."

Could some of the pilots on here give a time scale for how long it would take to get the required number of hours up that are required.

"Flying Requirements

Possesses at least 1300 rated hours, or 800 rated hours in T-6, T-37, T-38, T-45, or T-34, or approximately 500 hours in fighters. "Rated hours" means we don't want you including hours flown as a pilot training student.
Do NOT include pilot training time or civilian time when computing these total hours.
Possess at least 500 hours in fixed wing aircraft
Possess 15 months as pilot-in-command in primary mission aircraft
An SCI/SBI or capability to obtain one"

"
If you're passed over, but not Active Duty USAF, you won't be eligible to come onto active duty. If you're an active duty Captain who is passed over to Major, it is unlikely we will consider your application. If you're an active duty Major passed over to Lt Col, your chances are much higher that we will favorably consider your application. Call us."

Seems to me that most applicants are in the Captain / Major range, doesn't say much about Lt's.

Edit
A very quick scan of 853 US pilot list by name, rank and when they went solo from early 1950's to 2009, the only Lt's found were all in 1956/7. Everyone from 1970 onwards was USAF Capt or above with the odd civilian thrown in.

All the above is publicly available info, no secret squirrel stuff.

Last edited by 500N; 8th Dec 2011 at 17:04.