PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merry Xmas from HMS Ocean
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 15:23
500N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A good article re the video at the bottom of the page in the link to the RN Newspaper
HMS Ocean thumbs up from pop star Mariah | Royal Navy

HMS Ocean thumbs up from pop star Mariah
07/12/2011

The world has tuned in to the men and women of the Mighty O after they filmed a spoof Christmas video. The Youtube video of Mariah Carey’s 'All I Want For Christmas' has gained hundreds of thousands of fans – among them the pop diva herself.

They hoped to send a message back to Britain – instead the world tuned in.

HMS Ocean’s crew wowed pop star Mariah Carey after their cover of her song drew hundreds of thousands of viewers.Plymouth-based Royal Marines and Navy personnel were tweeted by Ms Carey after they mimed All I Want for Christmas Is You and put in online.

The video was aimed at family and friends in the UK, but within 36 hours more than 350,000 people had tuned in to the website YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

After watching it, the American star tweeted:
"This is the best thing I've ever seen, you guys just made my day! Happy Happy Christmas!!! x0x0 to the troops."

Not only did the video spread rapidly around the world, it was even picked up by America’s prime time television show Good Morning America, which is watched by millions. It was named their ‘Play of the Day’ song today.

Lt Kelly Cleeve, who filmed and edited the video with WO Mick Wakeham and the aviation department, said the video had relieved stress after seven months away.

She said:
“Recording the song was a way to boost morale and give the guys a bit of a diversion. "The response to the video has been amazing, and I've been watching with much interest."

The Mighty O – Britain’s biggest warship – left for a seven-week training exercise in April, but was diverted to Libya to support the UN air mission during the uprising against Col Gaddafi.

The helicopter carrier launched Britain's first seaborne Apache raid, destroying pro-Gaddafi military vehicles, installations and communications equipment.

Lt Cleeve said the idea for the video came when the crew was told the ship would be back in Plymouth for Christmas. She said: “Mariah Carey's song was the most appropriate choice as all we wanted for Christmas was to get back in time to celebrate. "We chose this particular song as it was upbeat, cheerful, fun and well-known. "Most of those that saw it were complaining that they had the song stuck in their heads for days afterwards."

Crew members chose their own lines and costumes and the video was completed in two days during a quiet period.

HMS Ocean's commanding officer Capt Andrew Betton said he had been impressed by the crew's fortitude and professional attitude while away. He said: "Despite the frequent changes in our programme and the uncertainty of when our mission would end, everyone has got stuck in to do what the Royal Navy does best with good humour, energy and professionalism.”

The crew of the Mighty O have got what they want for Christmas; the ship returns to Devonport on Friday after 225 days on deployment where hundreds of friends and family will be waiting for them.