PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BIRMINGHAM - 5
Thread: BIRMINGHAM - 5
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 09:44
scott737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BHX-LYS

I've used this route a number of occasions but some years ago now, originally when flown by Maersk, then Duo and BA Citiexpress. It was, incidentally, one of the few Duo routes taken on immediately at their closure by BA and there was only a short gap between BA pulling out of the regions and BritAir picking up the route. One would have thought that there was, therefore, money to be made on it but perhaps, as OP states, with fuel prices having increased considerably since those days, the route can't sustain a CRJ on it.

I'd have thought it was ideal for one of FlyBe's Q400s as aren't they supposed to turn a profit with relatively low load factors, assuming the yield is there? I doubt that baby would pick it up - the route seems too big for a 737 even taking into account the proximity of the skiing market in the winter season.

Here's hoping that FlyBe will look at it. Otherwise, it's hard to see who else would be interested as there is no-one else left who would operate a route such as this! It's hard not to be pessimistic but ultimately I fear this is another, long established route, consigned to the dustbin.

Scott