PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rules of the Air in Australia re- Low Flying
Old 15th Nov 2002, 08:48
Aussie Andy
PPruNaholic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rules of the Air in Australia re- Low Flying

Hi,

This came up in YSBK - YWOL discussion, but didn't get resolved there...

I hold a UK PPL and will be flying in Williamtown and Sydney areas while at home over Christmas / New Year. I would like to understand how the low-flying rules, i.e. Rule 5 of the Rules of the Air, are implemented in Australia?

Here in the UK, we are required to be able to "land clear" of built-up areas in event of an engine failure, so this precludes single-engine ops over densely populated areas such as central London unless high enough (which is generally not possible above about 1,000' or 1,500' agl, depending where you are, below Heathrow TMA Class A airspace)... The relevant bit of Rule 5 can be summarised as follows:
Aeroplanes are not permitted to fly over any congested area below a height of 1500 feet above the highest fixed object within 600 metres of the aircraft or below a height which would enable the aircraft to land clear in the event of the failure of a power unit, whichever is the higher (ref CAA)
My questions are:
  • Do you have a similar "land clear" restriction in Australia?
  • Where can I look-up this information (I didn't find it in the VFG, which I have a copy of).
Many thanks,