PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where should I go to get a PPL ?
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2002, 11:44
knobbygb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoopedo, I like not too far from you, in Glossop, and am just about to complete my PPL. I considered Barton, but travel over to Sherburn in Yorkshire for my training - about 55 miles/1 hr each way. This was initially because I worked over there, but although I no longer do, I am still very happy with the place and consider the journey worthwile.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Barton, far from it. (My ex-instructor Francis Wolff teaches there and she is very good - try to meet her if you go there.) I guess all I'm saying is that it's maybe worth a long journey to find somewhere you're really happy with rather than always choosing the nearest school.

Check out the Flyer website which has a county by county list of every school in the country along with which/how many aircraft they use and approximate cost.

You'll then have loads of other questions which you'll want answered. What type to fly, how much to pay, what books/kit to buy etc. etc. There are loads of past threads on here which may answer most of your questions - I certainley learnt loads from them.

Whatever you do, start flying as soon as possible. I, like you, have been interested for years but waited much longer than I should have done before taking the plunge. I wish I'd done it 10 years ago so don't put it off any longer than you have to.

Drop me an email if you want to discuss further.