PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AMR 587 Airbus Crash (merged)
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2002, 01:42
Wino
Union Goon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both could be overpowered as I recall. That was one of the points where "I don't understand the question" started to rear its head.

I can't screen capture like you can Picky, but the next reversal, before the bang and tail departed had both exceding the movment limits.

Also the traces have the yaw damper doing its thing ontop of the movements...

As to Captain states, every time I flew with him he always followed along on the controls. The problem is that even if he was on the controlls as there is no indicator to point to the reduced rudder pedal travel available. So Ed would have seen or felt the rudder pedal moving 1.3 inches or so, not the 4 inches when they did the rudder check right before take off, so the movements would APPEAR to be quite restrained. Without stepping on the pedals with additional force himself, there is no way he could know that pedal progess was stopped by the load limiter rather than restraint on the flying pilot's part.

I would guess that about 60-70 percent of pilots follow along on the controls. I know I do when the other guy is flying, and the majority do the same, though not all. Oddly enough it is something that is not possible in later Airbus aircraft where the controls are not back driven or interlinked.

You are correct, they were not yet in a turn for the first wake encounter, I over looked that in my far closer focus to the second wake encounter. Good catch.

Ratherbeflying.
That is a manufacturer problem unfortunately. You can't just willy nilly alter an aircraft design without certification which requires the cooperation of the manufacturer. As Airbus feels they have never made a mistake, I doubt they would cooperate.

Cheers
Wino