PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Thames Airport for London
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2011, 06:56
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS,
And as an side, I have not noticed many departures from LHR doing split-arse 45 degree turns at 300 ft after take off (the one minute point). Perhaps you could explain this dichotomy. Do you have some example SIDs for us?
You are misunderstanding again.

The 1 minute or 2 minute departure separation refers to the time between take-offs, not the time after take off when the aircraft turns.
I have never been given a Cat III landing clearance inside 3nm. And that includes some very busy airports. And if you cannot get the landing clearance in by 3nm, when the Cat III approach spacing is about 5-6 nm, then something is wrong.
Ok, let me be clear on this.

You are saying that in CATIII conditions, with an arrival-arrival separation of 5-6nm you believe there's something wrong if you don't get landing clearance by the time no.2 is at 3nm?

Serious question.....do you know how long it takes to vacate a runway and be clear of the LSA in CATIII?

That is leaving arriving aircraft the same length of time as they take just to vacate the runway in normal ops!!!!

And on the contrary, Heathrow DOES have capacity constraints and flight cancellations, especially when low-viz procedures are in force (when 3nm spacings suddenly become 5-6nm spacings). The whole point about the 3-runway layout, is that the approach and landing capacity is sufficiently high, so there would be no difference between normal and low-viz procedures - you could always have 5-6 nm approach spacing.
Ok, now I think you aren't really reading my posts. I never suggested at any point that LHR does not have capacity constraints. I think, having worked with them every day for 13 years, I probably have a better idea of them than most.

However, do you really want to limit the traffic to enable zero delay if we go into CATIII?

You seriously want the whole airport to constrain itself dramatically the vast majority of the time to ensure that on the rare (averaged over the year) CATIII days you get no delay?

No airport operator in the world is going to want to operate your new airport!