PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Idea!!
Thread: No Idea!!
View Single Post
Old 13th Nov 2002, 11:04
Icarus2001

Received 263 Likes on 116 Posts
StormyWX an interesting post and I agree with most of your sentiments. However you have left yourself open on a couple of points...

We do actually have to perform to obtain them, to the same standard (if not higher) then has always been required.
How would you be in a position to judge that? Have you had flight tests under old and new systems? CPL and Instructor tests used to be conducted by " the department" in it's various forms not by in house testing officers who have a vested interest in passing company trained pilots.

"The standard" is certainly not "if not higher" as an example, a night rating used to be compulsory for issue of a CPL, no longer. So the standard of nav aid work has definately decreased even though it is required under the CPL syllabus. I know because I have seen the product.

However having said that, we are constantly tested to ensure we can teach what we are required to by CASA and if we couldn't we simply wouldn't have a job.
Constantly? You mean after 12 months as a Grade 3 then every two years. Hmmmmmm

Seriously the test I use as CFI is the quality of student produced. I can see how much effort an instructor is making by the quality of student.

As I said I agree mostly with your sentiments. Give me a keen, enthusiatic 350 hour instructor over a jaded, lard arse, frustrated airline pilot with 4000 hours instructing anyday.

Best wishes with the flying.