PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - fireman sam...
Thread: fireman sam...
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2002, 21:32
DICKY the PIG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBW,

Some very valid points there,especially concerning the other emergency services, however these guys work 12 hour shifts 4days/nights on followed by 3 off. That's a 48 hour week(granted they might not be fighting fires all that time and indeed may be sleeping. Perhaps we should only be paid when we are at work,awake, SAR crews take note, and not paid 24/7). They then go and work in another job on their days off...do you work in Sainsbury's on a Sat/Sun?
Some of the risks they face on a daily basis:
1. Burns(obvious I know!!)
2. Explosions(personal experience on that one....Yesterday!!!!)
3. Chemicals and other noxious substances(Journalists etc! Sorry Jacko!).
4. Derelict buildings falling down on them, falling through them, and do you realise that the drug users who occupy these buildings, tape upturned needles to the bannisters so that they spike the Police when they search the place, they also spike the firefighters who are searching for these 'druggies' through thick smoke in Breathing apparatus with restricted views!
5. Blood contamination(Doctors,nurses and police as well)
6.Smoke inhilation(so much more deadly than any fire itself).
These are but a few of the many dangers these guys face saving our necks every day. From your wording I take it you feel pretty strongly about it...fair enough....but if you think its a quote: "Basic job worth a standard wage" you are either very mistaken or downright bloody arrogant.

Grob, 21k is what a fully qualified firefigher earns 4 years after graduating firethingy school. You say you hope that you aren't involved in an RTA with no firemen about.....it's amazing what we take for granted isn't it.
Don't get me wrong chaps I realise everybody would like much more pay and that's not going to happen, but these guys are really undervalued by the public(until they need them) and are definately underpaid.

I believe their major gripe is the fact that the local authorities want to use these fireman for related duties during the 3 days they currently have off. For this they would get an extra 3-5k a year. Unfortunately a lot off guys who work secondary jobs on their days off earn considerably more than that and are understandably quite annoyed.
Please feel free to berate me.... I don't care I'm off to Fort William in my little green goddess for a couple of days, so won't be here to read it.
Dicky