PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unfortunate mishap HELP!
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2002, 18:07
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Lots of good advice there - when it come to cock-ups, how long have you got? I've called 'finals' when downwind, I've gone from flaps 30 to clean at 50' & 55kts in a go-around (and I promise you, if you've done that once, you'll never do it again ), I (briefly) went IMC on my 1st cross-country solo. . . As everyone has said, rest assured mistakes will happen. The trick is to deal with them, and learn from the experience.

And although you don't say where this happened, if it was the Essex airport with 24/06 runways and variable circuits that I'm thinking of, I'm sure they've seen worse. I spent some time in the tower a while back, and the controllers explained they like to cross-check people's position reports with the direction-finding equipment, as they are so used to us reporting right-hand downwind when we're actually left-hand, etc. (And until I went there, I thought my RT was quite poor. Half an hour of listening to other students trying to transit the zone or get an RIS convinced me I didn't have much to worry about.)

It might be an idea to ask to see the tower next time you're in there, as you'll find they're human too, and they'll be able to reassure you with plenty of other people's horror stories!