PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maintenance Standards
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2002, 17:41
mono

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys,

Having read this thread with interest I feel it is time to add my 2p worth.

In many ways engineers are their own worst enemies. Just read through the threads again and look at how you view yourselves.

If it were not for the fact that I am reading this on a computer I would think I was reading something from a Dickensian era! This is the 21st century! A firm cannot just sack you nowadays, you can take then to court! If they put you in a demeaning job or reduce your terms and conditions to the extent that you want to quit, then that can be consrued as constructive dissmissal, and you can take them to court! If you are with a union or the ALAE then you won't even have to pay the lawyer!

Get a grip and get a life. If you are not happy with it then don't sign it!

If the company can find someone who will then that is not your problem (and if, heaven forbid, something goes wrong, you will still have your licence and your job. unlike the jobsworth who penned it)

We as Aircraft engineers are in a unique position, we are among the few professions which can be prosecuted for not doing our job properly. If the postman does not deliver your letter, that's it. No mail. If a car mechanic forgets to put oil in a car, the engine might blow up but he won't find himself in court for manslaughter. If however we fail to carry out a mandated check IAW the relevant proceedures or forget to correctly lock a componant, or whatever we could end up in front of the beak!

That's what you have to remember when pen is put to paper.

I agree with pond life (FLS boy?) if the defect is outside the MEL then the crew won't take it.

If we all start to have a little pride in what we do the others will recognise it and our standing in the aviation community will only rise.

I for one enjoy what I do. I don't want to be a pilot, it doesn't interest me. I enjoy the challenge of getting a sick a/c out on a tight slot, safe in the knowledge that it is safe and 300ish people are still going to enjoy their holiday. I enjoy travelling the world and getting paid to do it, telling a pessimistic driver that I have fixed it and he can go (so he has to cancel the dinner he had arranged 'cos he thought it wasn't flying - actually happened once )

I know that my pay is not the best but it's better than it used to be, and some day I may even be paid what I am worth!

Sorry starting to waffle on a bit, but I think you get my drift.

Cheers,

edited 'cos I can't spell