PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Idea!!
Thread: No Idea!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2002, 13:07
puff

Received 29 Likes on 9 Posts
God knows what the situation is to the problem but certainly raising the hours for instructers is certainly not a bad idea....BUT you have to make it worth their while to stick around....guys that instruct from 200 hours want out by the time they have 500 because they are sick of living on a terrible casual wage...if you can't keep a guy with 500 hours in the job how do we intend to attract guys with 1000s of hours to instruct when there isn't the rewards in it.

Few other points ...Raise the hours required to become a Grade 3 instructor, no problems but where does your average CPL graduate get that first job, when with the huge increase in insurance costs these days means that there are very few operators with insurance that allows them to give sub 300 hour or even 200 hour guys a go, even several parachute operators have insurance mins of 300/500 ...then of the operators that do give low hour guys a job you have heaps of guys going for the one job, and why would you take someone with low hours when there is always someone around that has more.

It's amazing how much bashing of low hour guys that goes on, but when you look around at all the ATSB reports of most recent accidents all have been flown by pilots with about 1000 odd hours, or even more. Accidents that are flown by 200 hour pilots aren't THAT common.

Just remember guys you were all 200 hour pilots yourself, and most of us out here are more than willing to sit and listen to any words of wisdom that you are willing to impart, i've been lucky enough to have been involved in the industry from an early age and have grown up around it, and the amount of stuff i've learnt from guys with more experience than I could dream of is amazing.

I think we all admit that being low hour or low experience at ANYTHING in life means you do have a LOT to learn, but it's hard to learn if no one is willing to help teach you, because it's always easier to sit back and make fun of them and give them crap from a distance with your mates....if someone does something wrong, tell them what they did wrong, how to do it right, and not to do it again.......if they do it again, sack them.....you soon learn that way! If they are that unwilling to listen and learn from the advise of someone with far more experience than them, by sacking them you just might save their life or even worse their passengers one day......