PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Type Rating - which type, where, why pay etc?
Old 12th Nov 2002, 08:39
prob30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grivation,

When challenged you claim not to have a problem with current trends and young low houred guys trying to compete in a competitive market. Yet, when you make a post yourself you seem to have a bee in your flat cap which smacks of 'it wornt like that in my day, 27 hours a day down pit.....CTC?.. pah...noothin' better than daylight robbery woodnt catch a son of mine.....'

So taking your advice, fine we will go and instruct on £12K a year with a £6K investment or, considering the £60K+ debt we have knowingly got ourselves into, look for a better paid job. So we look for regional turbo props who need less pilots than jet operatora at the moment, and we stand to be paid less....however...we could INVEST £6K with CTC (subject to passing the grade etc) and off we go onto a course that fill the void left by a duff CAA ATPL sylabus and means an airline can lose a little less sleep at the thought of dishing out £20K on a type rating to a person who has had 20 hours on a twin.

In search of the highest paid job we can find to pay back the large loan, We could INVEST in a type rating (those evil words) but I would sugest only if you have a very good chance of employment at the end of it, a la Ryanair £18K gig when it was on offer, or Easy...or Astraeus or hopefully JMC.

I am sorry Grivation if it wasnt like this in the old days, but I will do what is
financailly best for my business plan (get out of debt quickest). I was self employed for 10 years and I know all about investing large sums of money to get ahead and I will not sit around and turn down oppertunities. My bank manager would be livid in any case, and it is downright stupidity.

And I will tell you something else, if the airline industry collapsed in another big way, I would argue that it will be the LCC's out there who keep going purely by keeping expenditure low...by us paying for type ratings is an insurance that goes some way to keeping a job should it all go pear shaped further...a sound business investment i would say.

And finally, the type rating is owned by YOU. You are not shelling out cash for no return. £18K is better spent on a type rating than charging about in a light single or a twin, as yer man from Emirates said along with others at the BALPA conference.

The airline industry may not be behaving the way it should be, but terrorists shouldnt be flying airliners in to buildings should they.