PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No Idea!!
Thread: No Idea!!
View Single Post
Old 12th Nov 2002, 08:35
Hugh Jarse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

This is demonstrably untrue. Minimum for a CPL issue is 150 hours. An instructor course comprises a minimum of 50 hours training.
Pure semantics Icarus2001. Yes, I made a mistake. And you know that I meant pilots with a bare CPL going straight into Instructor Ratings.

I have trained my fair share of instructors also. I have also flown (as a student way back when) with pimply faced instructors that wouldn't know their ar$e from their elbow. 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Whilst I agree that many new Grade 3 instructors are little more than safety pilot's, they soon improve. Or those that apply themselves do.
Sure, but who pays for it in the meantime while they are learning? The students...

I occasionally come across some very senior instructors and CFi's with strange ideas too.
Indeed. Probably because they were taught by inexperienced pilots when they were up-and-coming Grade 3's.

That's because there is very little standardisation in the flying training industry. I worked at a large establishment that was big on standardisation. You taught it their way 'or the highway'. Regular surveillance by Management Pilots, and strict application of training standards at renewal time ensured consistent quality of workmanship. The client airlines demanded it.

Now, if an organisation with over 50 Instructors can manage it, why can't one with 5? Surely it would be easier?

Casa supposedly sets the minimum standard to which Instructor candidates must reach. Who applies the standard? The flying school. Now if that ain't a conflict of interest I don't know what is.....

The responsibility for testing of candidates has been passed onto the industry. The industry has to take responsibility for the generally $hitty standard that prevails......................

I agree with you. Some form of centralised training organisation would probably go a long way to rectifying the current problems. However, the authority taking a more proactive approach like insisting (and surveilling to ensure) certain standards are achieved with regard to quality of training would be even better.