PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What happened during your flight test ? :o)
Old 11th Nov 2002, 21:17
Celtic Frog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CPL FLIGHT TEST

I hate to admit this , but I failed a CPL (UK) GFT.
All was going well during th eVFR leg, but a cloud was in front of me , so rather than divert around it, I decided to drop down just 500 feet to stay beneath it, therefore maintain track and VFR.
The examiner agreed with me on this, but th ecloud was positioned exactly on an altimeter setting region, so I called for th enext reginal QNH which was about 2 mb different.
Having read back that, and declared toATC I was dropping down to 2000' on th enew regional QNH, and then declared to th eexaminer what I was doing, I then simultaneously descended and set the new QNH...just about a minute before reaching the ASR boundary. the examiner then told me I'd failed because as far as he was concerned, I'd moved th econtrol column (and therefore started descending) a split second before setting the new QNH.
the fact was that I still had about a minute to go before I had to set it. the other fact was that I hadn't even busted my 100' limit, so I could argue that I was still maintaining level flight on th eold QNH and hadn't passed the 100' limit until after th enew QNH was set, but he was on a power trip so I lost that argument and a lot of money. GRUDGE WHINGE !!