PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - To old and settled ?
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 20:49
Celtic Frog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Career change?

Hi Andy...
I'm one of the lucky ones who maned to establish a flying career long before starting a family, and on the negative side, I have to say it's a lot of stress having to include your familiy into what can often be a very insecure job prospect....although many have done it.
I reckon the best success stories are those who become airline pilots in their late thirties but manage to retain thier own business interests outside aviation so that if th eflying job either takes along time to happen, or your airline decides to lay off staff, or post you to a location where you don't want to be, you can stay put with your other source of income and at least hang onto your family.
Also, may I suggest that you simply start flying for pleasure, and perhaps you'll find yourself in a situation where you can build hours for peanuts (glider towing, parachute dropping, share an aircraft syndicate etc) and then re-assess your situation after a couple of years. if you don't get into commercial flying then your only expense will have been controlled into th ehobby you always wanted.
Finally, if you go for the hobby route, have a try at the gliding scene. It's fun and less expensive.
happy landings