PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ***arm Airline Pilots Now***
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 19:27
Celtic Frog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arming pilots

OK saudipc..and my apologies to those squaddies who misunderstood my comments..of course I have a huge amount of respect for squaddies..many of whom I have met and regard as intelligent thoughtful people.
And perhaps without realising it yourself, I reckon you actually agreed with what I was at least trying to say...
The anti-gun campaigners tend to tar all pro-gun supporters with the same brush..something like:
"If you have a gun , you are therefore an irresponsible psychopath..."
And now it feels like people are trying to add :
"...especially if you're at the controls af an airliner"
Squaddies, (great people) customs, security staff, immigration, police, and in some countries, other specific occupations, are authorised to carry weapons for the purpose of preserving life.
Yet airline pilots are often in charge of more lives at any one time (other than train drivers and ships' captains),
Of course here are considerations regarding training, ballistics, circumstances, etc but whichever way the argument swings regarding arming us, in the interests of our industry, please let's not tolerate anyone trying to accuse us of being less capable of being trained, less responsible, less sensible, less thoughtful, less anything, than any other group of people who are authorised to carry weapons to protect lives.