PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Flyers
Thread: American Flyers
View Single Post
Old 22nd Apr 2001, 11:00
WX Man

Question 'Flying Jobs in the USA'- American Flyers seminar

I didn't go to this, but I heard about the deal they are offering. Don't know what to make of it myself... it could be a blessing in disguise, or it could be the next tactic that the big US flying schools are using in order to get a cheap, steady supply of instructors willing to work for next to nothing. Read on...

The deal is a 'scholarship'. You apply, they create a training programme for you (which you pay for, of course) based on your previous experience. Then, on completing this, you work for them for a 3 month probationary period having been given only a 'housing allowance'. If, after this period, they like you, they will take you on as a in-house trainee. They therefore sponsor you for the H-3 visa, which is valid for up to 2 years.

And that's it. You can extend the H-3 visa if you wish (and if the INS permits!), and also apply for the hallowed green card based upon this visa.

So here's the crux: option 1 (success)- you apply, they accept you, you get FAA licences, and then you end up working for them. You're happy with them as an employer, and they're happy with you as an employee. Happy days.

Option 2(misery)- you apply, they accept you, you get FAA licences, but then they don't take you on. You have FAA licences, and no visa (not even a J-1), and must leave the country pretty soon. Short and curlys? I think so.

Am I being too cynical? Or am I painting a realistic picture of this too-good-to-be-true offer?