PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gyro's
Thread: Gyro's
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2002, 15:17
PPRUNE FAN#1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gyros. Hmm.

On one hand, the undriven rotor turns very slowly, so the stresses on the various bearings up there are low. On the other hand, it is a two-blade, teetering system with the inherent warnings, hazards and all that.

The two-place Canadian RAF2000 is about as good as a gyro gets (with a proper horizontal stabilizer installed), although there is no baggage room and so if you want to carry anything, any "touring" must be done solo. The Subaru engine conversion works extremely well IMHO, and has proven to be durable and reliable. I've seen kits with cabin heaters, and even one with the automotive air conditioning system installed! (A/C not really necessary over here though, but a heater/demister would be nice.)

Some blokes (read: non-gyro pilots) perceive gyros to be unsafe for a number of reasons. Superficially, they do not offer any protection in a crash. Also, they "seem" to crash a lot. Owners use gyros differently than they would a C-172. Gyros are toys, like gliders and ultralites, meant for messing about. Whilst gliders mess about up high, gyros do their thing down low. And when you mess about down low enough, you'll sooner or later hit that lone tree in the big empty field.

It is true about training. You must be properly trained. There are some aspects of the way gyros fly that differ from helicopters, and your rotorcraft instincts can screw you up. My transition was not the cakewalk I thought it would be. Luckily my instructor was a patient and understanding chap. As American newsman Harry Reasoner might say, "The thing is, gyrocopters are different."

Bottom line: If you get and build a good kit (and maintain it well), and are properly trained to fly it, and can resist the urge to hot-dog or show your arse, gyro flying can be as safe as any other type. And maybe even more fun! I say go for it!