PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PERTH 6/12
Thread: PERTH 6/12
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 22:09
my oleo is extended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HF3000
I always thought the strobes were based on whether lightning had been detected within 5NM. So I'm surprised by many of the posts here which indicate that they are based only on weather radar indicating a storm cell within 5NM.
Anyone in the know that can clarify?
Different ports/airlines adopt different procedures in some aspects.
For example in Brisbane, BAC do not issue any storm warnings. This is tasked to the operator.
The airport does have blue lights, white lights and a siren. If you are Qantas for example, Ops in Sydne make the call, they will phone through Phase 1, 2 and 3 alerts to the Brisbane Movement Control supervisor who then manually activates either the blue or white light. Likewise, the supervisor doesn't upgrade or downgrade the warning unless advised to do so by SYD Ops.
I still think it is not the safest process because although they are monitoring doppler radar which is very accurate in itself, as I mentioned earlier, sometimes what the radar depicts is not what is actually taking place. I have seen a storm cell around 10 nm away from the airport yet it has dropped lightning bolts onto a runway or hangar, and that can only be noted if you are at the actual airport visibly observing this.
Some airlines actually have a BOM resource sit in their Ops deaprtments during hightened weather risk times of the year such as mornings in winter due to fog and afternoon/evenings during summer months due to storm season which is an additional safety defense, but again, not as accurate as standing at the airport.

See below:
  • Thunderstorm Alert - Phase one (1): This is where the initial airport warning is received of possible thunderstorms. All staff are notified immediately;
  • Thunderstorm Alert - Phase two (2): This is where further advice is provided that the thunderstorms are heading towards the airportand are within 16km distance from the airport. All staff are notified immediately;
  • Thunderstorm Operations Shutdown Phase three (3): This is where further advice is provided that the thunderstorms are within the 8km distance from the airport and that an ‘Operations Shutdown’ must be declared immediately. All staff are notified immediately and the tarmac evacuated.
GT, Now you can go and report the facts more accurately you pompous nugget.