PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fears for Pentagon air power as Iran claims drone capture
Old 7th Dec 2011, 19:39
Lonewolf_50

Received 422 Likes on 264 Posts
A few bits in the news on this side of the pond indicate that someone in Washington is admitting/suggesting that CIA has been sending various drones over Iran with some frequency for the past "i am not quite sure how many" years.

This puzzles me.

1. Is this OPDEC? Is this the first, and they are covering up a first mission gone badly wrong with a smokescreen?

2. Why would you admit this, even if it were true? When you confirm it, you save your opponent/enemy time and effort trying to confirm what they suspect. Maybe I am too much a product of the Cold War, but that's, to me, a strategic stupidity. Keep 'em guessing!

3. Why does "CIA spokesperson" exist as a job title? The most pressing part of their job is keeping themselves in STFU status. Let someone else in Washington do the talking.

4. If they've been flying drones over Iran for some time now, what are drones offering as collectors that some of the other platforms, long used, don't? That last is a thought piece, and not really looking for an answer here.

This story smells more and more of cod fish oil.