PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND - 2
Thread: SOUTHEND - 2
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 17:13
righthandrule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a rumour network, but seriously guys there needs to be some common sense applied here.

Let’s start off operationally; the reason why Jet2's Piper has been down in Southend recently is to ferry crew to and from the airport for operational purposes. Those Jet2 757's that have been visiting are not to 'test the water' - they are at SEN for C Checks and painting! The Piper comes in to collect the crews that have positioned the aircraft in along with dropping off engineers. The routes mentioned are totally unrealistic, especially on 757 aircraft. There are performance restrictions on the 757's from LBA with a runways that’s nearly 2,300 meters long -I’m sorry but a fully laden 757 cannot operate 4-5 hour sectors from a 1,600 meter runway on a regular basis. I'm not saying operationally it's not possible, but for a low cost airline operating flights with a well over 80% load factor with tight turnarounds - this is not going to happen week in, week out. An slice of wind/rain/snow and it will have to divert.

Commercially it's a joke. No airline in the right mind would operate 3 routes from an airport that is hundreds of miles from the nearest crew base. If Jet2 did ever (they won't) operate routes from SEN, it would have to be routes such as ORK, JER, CDG, BFS, TLS or DUS which could be operated on 'W' legs from existing bases i.e. LBA-CDG-SEN-CDG-LBA. Jet2's cost base is so tight that HOTAC crew at SEN would make the whole operational a massive loss leader. Next, why would Jet2 start routes that are very expensive to operate (long 757 routes) from a completely untested airport. If anything, they would open shorter routes with less exposure to test the market. You cannot make money on flying 757's to Bodrum, Tenerife etc unless they are full. Flying a 737 to Barcelona or Paris with a 60-70% load factor is possibly acceptable, hence why easyJet are starting relatively short routes.

Jet2's most southern base is East Midlands - no one in London has even heard of Jet2. Brand identity for Jet2 in the north of England/Scotland is good, in a lot of places it is a household name considering they are the largest airline by far to focus on that geographical area. Moving into a completely different market - which is already highly saturated, is a crazy move. Yields have taken a hit even at Jet2's most established bases with loyal customers, this is not the time to make stupid decisions to open up random, speculative routes. Overall capacity for Jet2 is to increase by 13% for 2012 - this is accounted for with 1 extra aircraft at each of the following: GLA, EMA and NCL as well as increased capacity at MAN with 737-800 aircraft replacing 737-300's.

I think this rumour has come from a spotter at the end of the runway at SEN that has seen a 757 come in followed by the Piper. I'm sorry guys but Jet2 do not operate into non base UK airports, it's not our business model and never will be. We work on a simple, operational structure where a MINIMUM of 2 aircraft are based at an airport and they fly on routes to/from that airport only. The amount of 'W' routes Jet2 operate (out of 38 aircraft) can be counted on one hand - and they are all to existing bases. I.e. LBA-LRH-BFS-LRH-LBA. SEN will not feature on the Jet2 route map.