PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buying first family airplane.
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2011, 16:58
Dan the weegie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I could be wrong but I'm not sure that the P2006T is actually certified for flying in IMC.

When owning an aircraft I honestly believe that simplicity is important, the less fancy stuff you have, the less you have that can go wrong (expensively) so you should be less likely to have fewer nasty £££ surprises.

So consider very carefully the benefits of each of the fancy bits and how much you're likely to miss them if the plane you own doesn't have it.

Taking all things into account, I'd always opt for the 182, it lifts a heck of a lot of weight, it goes around the place at around 130kts which is plenty quick enough in the UK (Inverness to Oxfordshire in under 3 hours), it's easy to fly and it will fly in and out of pretty much any strip you care to put your wheels on. I'm not convinced most of the others are anywhere near as capable, but again as with everything I could be wrong .
You'll definitely get one within your budget with a good interior and good avionics and it's still fairly easy to fly for a low hours PPL. I hear what you're saying about high wing but you should try very hard to look beyond that. It does everything you could want to do with a private aircraft very well indeed you will rarely find yourself being in a situation where you can't go to a certain place.

Bonanza, lovely, capable, fast, thirsty.

TB20, very comfortable, very fast, holds a lot, goes a distance, however parts for Socata aircraft can be quite hard to get and very expensive so if you plump for one of these guys, buy newer It does eat runway from what I understand (relative to the 182). Retractable gears are great but they are just another thing to go wrong when the annual comes around.

Commanches are lovely, but isn't it just a powerful archer? Little bit cramped for longer flights. Same with mooneys, it's a 2+ imo rather than a comfy 4 seat but wow do they shift. Watch for the turbo charger as well, they can shock cool if you're not sensible with them.

Cherokee Six (6xt) is a nice plane, bigger than Commanches and archers I'm not sure I love the Oleo main gear, they have a habit of sucking dirt in to the seal and losing pressure which can be a pest to have fixed as you need to go somewhere with pressurised Nitrogen to have it pumped up again.
Saratoga, same as cherokee 6 with a little more comfort and a disappearing gear, very nice but I wonder if a Cessna 210 wouldn't be more practical given it's capability.

Most improtantly, try a few you're interested in, pay for the flight. Owning is much more expensive than you think so you need to make sure it's the right decision and the only way to do that is to decide for your self, opinions being like arrsouls an all